Gifts of Stock or Appreciated Securities
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to the National Council of the United States Society of St. Vincent De Paul.
- SVdPUSA sells your securities and uses the proceeds for our programs.
- Use our Stock Transfer Form to facilitate the gift.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.